Monday, January 12, 2015

FOOTPRINTS

The "clipper," a fast-moving, moisture-starved winter storm, dropped a two-inch blanket of snow of our region of northeastern Pennsylvania last Tuesday. As I began my workout I ran up my driveway, stamping out the first footprints on the virgin blanket of white

Yesterday,  as I neared the end of a 5-mile run in 64-degree, drizzly Myrtle Beach conditions, I took a left turn off Ocean Boulevard, crossed a footbridge, and ran my final half mile on the gray, hard-packed sand, buffeted by the crashing waves of the Atlantic Ocean.

Needless to say, I strongly prefer this week's footprints to those I created last week.

It is my firm belief that our best running days lie ahead, as we continue to make footprints each time we lace up our sneakers and begin our workout.

Our footprints tell our story, and, as runners, our stories are as unique as the footprints we create. We are all running toward a goal, and in some cases, we are running away from the pressures of our modern-day lives.

Our footprints may be stamped on the beach, in the snow, or in the mud, but dammit, we are leaving our indelible imprint by the footprints we create.

On days when you simply don't feel like running, look at your shoes. Like your dog when he sees his leash, they beckon you to lace them up, to use them to leave more footprints that only you can create.

You owe it to yourself to continue to produce footprints, far and wide across your running world. In a short amount of time, they will vanish. Then, it becomes your task to create new ones.

www.muldowneyrunning.com


No comments:

Post a Comment