Tuesday, January 13, 2015

BOOK IT

If you follow my blog, you may know that, in many ways, I'm a running purist.

Heck, I was around when this whole thing got started.

At the 1972 Summer Olympics, Frank Shorter became the first American to win the marathon since 1908. Before his remarkable accomplishment, few Americans had any idea what a marathon was. After his victory, however, the first "Running Boom" began.

During the first running boom, things like treadmills were used only by astronauts in training. Digital watches were in their infancy. No one even knew what the letters "GPS" meant.

But, how I love all the new stuff. I devoted a chapter to it, entitled, 'Tech It Baby,' in my latest book, "Personal Best." www.muldowneyrunning.com. I've "teched it up," with an eBook, available on Amazon,  Barnes and Noble, and the iTunes store. Just imagine, reading a book without physically turning pages. What will they think of next?

I really love my iPod (or phone), where I create my power playlist, then crank it up for the workout. I often select the Irish punk sound of Dropkick Murphys (good Boston boys) to inspire me during a training run.

My wife, however, has selected another inspirational method of passing the miles on the run. She enjoys the app, (there's another word we never heard of in the 70s) Audible, which enables her to listen to books while she runs. If she's listening to a thrilling Stephen King novel, she often doesn't want to stop until she finds out what happens at the end of a chapter. Her mileage has increased since she began listening to books on the run.

My philosophy of running these days is to utilize any method, and embrace any technology that makes running easier and more enjoyable.

I love to read and I love to run. Therefore, I'm always going encourage you to "book it."

1 comment:

  1. I don't know. Just don't feel the same running when I have earbuds in. I need to hear the birds, the dogs, my feet, kids playing (not so much anymore; sad), my breathing. I just appreciate the outdoors more when I don't bring the indoors out with me.

    ReplyDelete