Wednesday, December 31, 2014

RENEWAL

We may belong to different faiths, or none at all. We may all have national holidays, but when it comes to December 31, we are all, for the most part, united.

The beginning of a new year is a time for renewal, a time for promises, resolutions if you will.

For runners, it is an extra special time.

We tally up our miles today, with the hope of running more and faster miles next year.

2013 was the worst running year of my life. I tore two hamstring tendons in my left leg in May, and was incapacitated throughout the summer. A 7:04 pace at the 2013 Boston Marathon was reduced to a near 10-minute clip on my December 31 four-miler last year.


Today, I clipped off four miles at an 8:15 pace. Far from where I want to be; but far from where I was a year ago.

My first goal for 2015?

Reduce that 8:20 pace to a 7:20 one year from now.

So, start up your new running log tomorrow. Set reasonable goals for 2015. Be optimistic but be realistic.

Make each day your personal best, and remember that your best running days lie ahead.

From my family to yours, have a happy, healthy 2015,

www.muldowneyrunning.com


No comments:

Post a Comment