Tuesday, November 10, 2015

SCOPE

At this time of year I would normally blog about training runs, fall races, my hatred of turning the clocks back, and my dread of the pending winter season.
 
There haven't been a whole lot of training blogs for the past three months, as a torn meniscus has sidelined me since August.
 
You know the drill.
 
An ache in the knee, running with a lot of pain. Knee sleeves, chiropractor visits... essentially attempts at holding the knee together with rubber bands and chewing gum.
 
Once the MRI revealed a torn meniscus, there was little choice but to have the surgery performed.
 
In 39 years, I have never experienced a significant knee issue. And, sure enough, X-rays, as well as the MRI revealed a healthy knee. Simply, a torn hamstring, suffered in May of 2013, caused me to alter my running gait, thus placing more stress on the medial side of my knee.
 
Arthroscopic surgery was performed this morning by Dr. John Martin at the Surgical Institute of Reading, Pennsylvania. He's a terrific orthopedic surgeon, and just a great guy. Dr. Martin is an avid cyclist, and his Physician's Assistant is Samantha Snukis. Few people know more about runners and running than Sam. She's one of the finest runners on the east coast, having recently turned a time of 1:21 at the Philadelphia Rock and Roll Half Marathon. Sam recommended Dr. Martin, and I'm glad I listened to her. She was there for the procedure, and I owe her my eternal gratitude.
 
When a runner is injured, his or her support group is essential, and often bears the brunt of our running withdrawal.
 
Thanks to my wife, Crissy, for putting up with me, and for what she will inevitable endure for the next couple of days. Couldn't do it, or much else, without her To my close friends, those of you who have always been there, thank you, as always.

Now, I must make the glass half full.

For the next few weeks, I'll record my progress (and setbacks) here, in the blog. A veritable treasure trove for a writer.

It will be therapeutic for me, and hopefully, instructive and beneficial for any reader going through a similar knee experience.

 Some rehab, and I'll be back out on the roads soon.
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment