Tuesday, November 24, 2015

HALF WAY

Two weeks ago I underwent arthroscopic surgery to remove a torn meniscus from my left knee.

The surgery was successful. Aside from the tear, which was a direct result of a double hamstring tear in same leg two years ago, my knee, according to my orthopedic surgeon, is healthy, with no signs of arthritis or other damage. On a visit with him last Monday, he stated that I could resume running one month from the date of the surgery, so today marks the half way point in my rehabilitation and eventual return to running.

Needless to say, it has been difficult to remain patient. We have been experiencing great November weather, and races like the Harrisburg and Philadelphia Marathons have come and gone, without my participation.

So, the extent of my workouts have been daily walks (steps and hills remain a bit painful), and long hours in the gym.

But it's ok.

My knee, while a bit sore and stiff, continues to improve, and the ultimate goal is to slowly return to running, pain-free.

Oh, and not running means watching the calories. Toting some extra weight around when I do finally run again is something I don't need. Mounting a comeback is going to be tough enough. And Thanksgiving is two days away...Ugh!

There is certainly a great deal of apprehension when one attempts to return to running after a long layoff. Patience thus far has been important, but it will become even more critical as I begin the process of running again, as we runners have the natural tendency to do too much too soon.

So, I have set very modest goals. The old adage is, "It takes two days to come back from every one day missed."

That's true when you're young, but I'm not. I'm going to double that figure, and since I really haven't run in two months, well, the math is a bit staggering.

The sage-like lesson I can pass on to you is this: first, never ignore what your body is telling you. An ache in my left knee turned into a tear.

Why?

Because I ignored it, ran a 5-mile race the next day, and, well, the rest is history.

Next, go to a competent doctor, but always seek a second opinion.

Then, the rest is up to you.

It can be very frustrating.

I'm extremely frustrated.

But I'm half way there.

www.muldowneyrunning.net

No comments:

Post a Comment