Friday, November 13, 2015

DAY 3-DISCOVERY

I had my Howard Carter moment this morning.

"Who is Howard Carter?" you ask.

Back in 1922, Howard Carter both braved and survived the "Mummy's Curse," and discovered the tomb of Egyptian King Tut.

This morning, approximately 72 hours after my arthroscopic surgery to remove a damaged meniscus from my left knee, I went through with the "demummification" process of unwrapping the bulky bandage from my knee.

Needless to say, I was apprehensive.

My leg flexibility has been improving, and my pain has been minimal, but the site of the incisions, on both sides of the knee, has been tender, and has prevented me from fully flexing the leg.

To my great delight, when the unwrapping was complete, the knee was slightly swelled, and the incisions, although itchy, were clean.

It didn't take long before I began my stretching and flexibility exercises, which were much easier without the bandage, then I took off for a walk, which I bumped up to 3/4 mile today, at, of course, a faster pace than the previous two days.. (I simply couldn't resist using my GPS watch. Just a force of habit) Over the weekend I plan to walk a mile.

On Monday I visit my orthopedic surgeon, at which time he will direct me on how to proceed with my rehabilitation. Hunting season is coming up in a little over two weeks, and running, hopefully, will not be far behind.

In the meantime, to stave off boredom, I have been building up credits with my wife, as I welcome each and every household chore.

Today was a day of positive discovery.

Now it's off to do the laundry.

www.muldowneyrunning.net

No comments:

Post a Comment