Monday, November 16, 2015

DAY 6-UNSTITCHED

Running is always a matter of balance.

Am I training to much?

Am I training too little?

Am I running too fast?

Am I running too slow?

Questions multiply, and become more serious, however, when one is injured.

Since my arthroscopic knee surgery of last Tuesday, I have walked each day, and have faithfully performed the recommended leg strengthening and flexibility exercises.

Yesterday, under gorgeous, cloudless skies, I walked 1.25 miles in the morning, and another half mile with my dogs in the afternoon. In the evening I did my leg exercises.

Today, it was time for my follow-up appointment with my orthopedic surgeon, who also happens to be a competitive cyclist.

After the stitches were removed from my knee, we reviewed the pictures of my arthroscopic surgery and I was pleased to learn that, other than the torn meniscus, which was removed, my knee is otherwise healthy.

Then it was time to have my important questions answered.

If you ever have to choose a surgeon, (and I hope you don't) reject any who appear smug, condescending, or dismissive. (I did) Rather, choose a professional who understands your needs as a runner, and who is willing to listen and answer all your questions thoroughly. I sought a second opinion, and I am thoroughly pleased with my choice of Doctor John Martin, from Reading, Pennsylvania.

Walking, a stationary bike, some light weightlifting with my leg, as well as the elliptical, are all good for now. However, my doctor informed me that I need to space things out. For example, if I go for a walk, I need to give the leg a couple hours of rest before I begin a session on the elliptical. Of course, ice and elevation are always necessary.

All that is ok...for now.

The big question then was, "When?"

We decided that the best course for full rehabilitation was four weeks from the surgery.

At that time, I need to go to a track or a trail (soft surfaces) and begin with a half mile of running, increasing a little each day, but running every other day for a while.

Slow, gradual integration into running is the key.

And, I'm good with that.

My goal is to run again, with no pain, and to remain healthy.

And now, I have only three weeks yet to wait.

www.muldowneyrunning.net




No comments:

Post a Comment