Tuesday, February 10, 2015

NOT ENOUGH TIME?

Ever notice how easy it is for people to come up with excuses not to run?

At the work place or socially, non-runners always feel compelled to weigh-in (no pun intended) on our running habits. For the most part, we could care less. I mean, are we concerned about their bowling leagues, softball teams, ultimate Frisbee competitions?

But there they are, preaching to us about how we're going to ruin our knees, telling us about their uncle Pete, who exercised every day, but dropped over dead from a heart attack. Or perhaps they criticize our fit lifestyle by reminding us of their aunt Gladys, who smokes two packs of cigarettes a day, but is still alive and kicking at age 90.

We really seem to bother them. Our drive, discipline, and compulsion to remain fit, despite our age, size, or ability, causes them to not only hurl critical barbs in our direction, guilting them into offering a litany of excuses as to why they aren't like us.

"I used to run when I was younger."

Often, this rationale is accompanied by a list of their stellar accomplishments, which usually include school, county, or state records that, somehow have never been memorialized in the record books.

"My doctor told me that I shouldn't run because...(Fill in the blank on this one) Pick a body part or an ailment, and their doctor has somehow told them that running will produce harmful effects.

But, here's my personal favorite.

"I'd run, but I just can't find the time." Or, worse, "I don't know where you find the time?"

WHAT???

I may be a bit thin-skinned, but this particular excuse is more than an excuse, To me, it's downright insulting.

Is the person implying that you and I have unlimited time, because clearly we are not employed, we don't have family obligations, and, of course, that person's life is much busier and more complex than ours?

In order to maintain a decent fitness level, one should run a minimum of 30 minutes a day, 3 to 4 times a week.

That's one television show, a short session of checking out Facebook statuses, or "checking in," or countless other distractions that usually involve our phones and our thumbs.

The fact is that most of you are working at your jobs, raising your families, contributing to your communities, enjoying a social life AND you are running and racing.

The "I don't have the time" is the lamest excuse of all.

My response has generally been, "I don't have the time either, but I make the time by spending less time in front of the television or the computer."

This weekend, as you prepare for your race, many of those "busy" folks will be sleeping in. Then they'll head out for a big breakfast, followed by the obligatory "check ins,", selfies, and Twitter updates.

In the meantime, you'll punch your watch at the finish line, smiling at a job well done.

Somehow, you've found the time.

www.muldowneyrunning.com




No comments:

Post a Comment