Thursday, January 9, 2014

HAPPY AND HUMBLED

Since I began road racing, back in 1976, I have had the pleasure of meeting many thousands of terrific people, who, like me, lace 'em up and put it on the line in races from 5K to the marathon. I, literally, have been able to transcend generations. I have trained, raced, and run marathons with my daughter, Kelly, and with Matt Tonitis, Ryan Crosswell, and Lindsay and Tommy Ausherman, children of three of my oldest and dearest running friends.

Since publishing my book, "Running Shorts: A Collection of Stories and Advice for Anyone Who Has Ever Laced Up a Pair of Running Shoes," www.runningshortsbook.com, I have traveled to many races, promoting the book, and delivering motivational speeches. At these events, I have been fortunate enough to meet some tremendous folks, who have asked me training questions, offered their perspectives about running and racing, and who have stayed in touch, reporting on their training and racing results.

One such gentleman is Jack H., from Philadelphia. Jack is a fine veteran runner, who, like this writer, has been through the running wars.

Today, Jack posted a review of my book on Amazon. I am happy and humbled by his kind words, and I have reprinted those words below. Most of us are stuck in the throes of winter,  and sometimes it's relaxing and fun to curl up with a good book. You can be the judge of how good you think the book is. This, however, I will guarantee: The stories will make you laugh, and the advice will make you a better. If you order from my site, I'll be happy to send you a signed copy.

By 
This review is from: Running Shorts: A Collection Of Stories And Advice For Anyone Who Has Ever Laced Up A Pair Of Running Shoes (Paperback)
Joe Muldowney is an accomplished runner and writer and the combination of the two makes for a good book-- "Running Shorts" has something for runners of every level.
I liked the fact that Muldowney's wit comes through throughout the book-- it's been a while since I've read humor in a running book, and this had me laughing out loud a couple of times at his anecdotes.
The book also combines useful training tips, and observations from his long running, racing and coaching experiences that can immediately benefit new runners. It also has plenty of insights of value for experienced runners and racers.
The short chapter format keeps your interest. If for example, some of the local running people or places mentioned aren't of interest, most runners will be interested in the universal and personal running experiences that the author describes so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment