Saturday, December 29, 2012

Put 'em Up


After a mild, snowless winter last year, it looks like Mother Nature is about to exact some payback in the winter of 2012-2013.

Today, here in the mountains of northeastern Pennsylvania, we received another dose of winter fury. On Christmas Eve, we got about 3 inches of snow, making for an idyllic "White Christmas." Sadly, 35 mile-per-hour winds glazed the snowy surfaces on December 26, creating treacherous icy conditions. This morning, steady snow began to fall at 8:00 a.m., and continues to come down as I write, at 4:00 p.m. I measured 7 inches of it on my back deck.

I hate winter, and if I never experienced another snowstorm, I'd be quite happy.

Today, however, was magnificent. I left the house at 1:30 p.m., needing 7 miles to complete a 50-mile week. The snow fell steadily, but the air was still. The 29-degree temperature was quite pleasant after a mile or so felt downright balmy. Streets were snow-covered, and my foot never touched blacktop throughout the workout. I resigned myself to a slow pace, as I enjoyed an hour of a passing winter landscape that only a runner could appreciate.  One other runner shared my appreciation. Jenn Terefenko, one of our region's top female runners, passed me twice on as I ran.

My eclectic Ipod selection of country music, mixed with Jimmy Buffett, 80s rap, and Dropkick Murphys, was my only companion.

Only once was I greeted with the exclamation, "You should be doing this." It was a rather large gentleman who was shoveling snow. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I DID already shovel snow, and that shoveling is a great warmup before embarking on a 7-mile run.

Now I'm sitting in front of the fireplace. Oh, I must do more shoveling, along with plowing my driveway.

Keep putting up your dukes. Our battle with winter has just begun.


Thanks to everyone who purchased copies of my book, 'Running Shorts,' in 2012. On today's run, I thought about the chapters entitled, 'Seasons,' and 'Why do they Hate Us so Much.'

You can still take advantage of the Holiday special: a signed copy of the book, and a women's T-shirt absolutely free. Check out: www.runningshortsbook.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment