Saturday, December 22, 2012

IT'S HEEERE!


Nine years ago, I built my home near the top of the mountain on the edge of my hometown of Pottsville, Pennsylvania. My isolated location has provided me with many fine neighbors, most of whom are squirrels and rabbits, along with an occasional deer and turkey. And that's the way I like it.

Unfortunately, I am also positioned at the end of a wind tunnel, and when the westerly winds begin their November to April journey through Pennsylvania, it feels like the Polar Express is bearing down on my house.

Last night, the train was chugging full-steam, with 35-mile per hour winds causing the house to shudder. When I woke up this morning, the snow was horizontal. It covered the ground, and ice glazed my driveway.

Samantha Snukis, a former 300-meter hurdles Pennsylvania state champion, and I, set out on a six-mile run later in the morning. Snow was blowing, and icy patches caused the footing to be treacherous. We ran three-miles into a biting wind, with wind-chills hovering in the low 20s. On the way back, the tailwind elevated the temps to pleasant levels.

Winter has arrived!

Now is the time to grind out slower, deliberate miles. Stay hydrated, as the low humidity can chap an alligator's tail. Stay safe and vertical, and make winter work for you.

www.runningshortsbook.com


No comments:

Post a Comment