Tuesday, December 25, 2012

FIRST STEPS

A Christmas Eve snowfall threw a blanket of heavy, wet snow over northeastern Pennsylvania, and provided us with a white Christmas.

After a magnificent, chaotic Christmas Eve with my family, I laced up my shoes this morning  and set off for a glorious, slow, slick six-mile run on the Sharp Mountian trails, behind my house.

The sun had peeked out, glistening off the freshly fallen show, which hung from the trees, like so many Christmas ornaments this time of year.

Mine were the first steps etched on the blank slate of snow, and it was fabulous. The eerie, post-storm stillness was soothing, as, after a mile, or so, I found my way to fresh four-wheeler tracks that provided that 'run-on-the-beach' feel as I strode along the lonely mountain trails. Rabbit, and an occasional deer track were the only other signs of life carved into the winter landscape.

The world of running and humanity melded together as I reflected on the joy and happiness this day, this season, and this magnificent life have bestowed upon me. I have a wonderful family, terrific friends, and millions of like-minded individuals who, like me, enjoy putting one step in front of the other and training for the sport they love.

To my family, my friends, and all of you in this great community of runners, have a very Merry Christmas.

May 2013 bring you new hope, promise, and the best racing year of your life.

                                                              MERRY CHRISTMAS

1 comment: