Tuesday, February 26, 2013

'START WITH YOUR SHOES'

The Boston Marathon looms less than two months away.

Although my training for the race has been going fairly well, I fully realize, having run 52 career marathons, including 15 Boston marathon appearances, that my 20-mile training runs are a key component to success.

A 20-miler is on the schedule for the upcoming weekend, so last weekend's 'longer' run was to be 12-miles.

During the week prior, however, a chronic lower back issue slowed my training progress. On several occasions, my training runs were interrupted by a stretching session, which became necessary as the muscles of my lower back knotted up.

For years, when runners ask inquire about their injury problems, I respond with, "Start with your shoes."

Well, I'm pretty good at dispensing advice, but not so good at heeding it. I had allowed my shoes to wear down, and now my back was making me pay for my negligence.

On Sunday I laced up my new shoes, retiring the old pair to the mountain of swooshed shoes that have piled up in my garage. The results were instantaneous and remarkable. I completed my run pain-free, and at a quicker pace than I had expected.

Now, I'm ready for this week's 20-miler!

During my 36-year running career, I've experienced just about every running injury inaginable. Today, I'm vertical and able to run fairly well, for an old geezer!

Check out the Mile (Chapter) in my book, 'Running Shorts: A Collection of Stories and Advice for Anyone Who Has Ever Laced Up a Pair of Running Shoes,' entitled, "Run 'til It Hurts." www.runningshortsbook.com. In it, I detail a number of injuries, and how I successfully dealt with them.

 With the Boston Marathon on the horizon, enjoy the chapter, Boston," where I take you on an amazing journey through this amazing race.

Spring begins on March 20, so I'm running a Spring 20% off sale. I would be truly honored if you read my book about the sport we love. And now you can purchase a personally signed copy for only $12.20. And if you want more advice after you buy the book, you can find me on Facebook, "Running Shorts,' or Twitter, 'rdrunnr00.'

Finally, look for me at the Yuengling Shamrock Marathon Expo in Virginia Beach on March 15-16. I'll be delivering seminars on, 'Make Each Day Your Personal Best,' and 'Advice for Running into Your 50s and 60s.'

No comments:

Post a Comment