Saturday, February 16, 2013

RANDOM

Whether you are a veteran runner, or a novice, you undoubtedly have suffered through a comedic list of random comments from non-runners.

In my last blog I related a story of a recent viewing I attended. Two older ladies (by the way, I believe there is an actual team of older women whose job it is to attend viewings) were sitting on chairs as I waited in line. One of the women said, "Were you running on Norwegian Street this afternoon?" I acknowledged that it was, indeed, me. Her response was, "I almost hit you." I smiled and offered my standard reply. "Well, as long as you weren't aiming for me."

After 36 years of running the streets of my city and county, I truly wish I had a dollar for every time I've endured the, "I almost hit you" line.

Check out my last blog, entitled, "WHY." I included a picture of my good friend and training partner, Rob Crosswell. In 1985, Rob turned in a time of 2:49 at the Boston Marathon. Knee issues curtailed his running, so Rob took up rollerblading in order to stay in shape. Soon, he was joining me on training runs of 7-15 miles. WELL...if you think the "I almost hit you" line applies to us as runners, you should hear the expletives that have been hurled at Rob over the years, as he has spun his way on the hilly, narrow streets of town!

There are few days that I am not out on the road. Since 1976 I've run over 120,000 miles. I am fortunate enough to still be able to log 50 miles a week. No matter, though, I still frequently hear, "Are you still running?" Come on. I'm 150 pounds, sporting a prisoner of war look. What do you think I've been doing?

Perhaps you have heard, "Are you ok? It looks like you've lost weight." Clearly, being overweight in America is, to many, a sign of good health!

"Don't your lungs freeze?" is a popular question in the cold weather months. I'm not a physician, but frozen lungs would probably equal death!

Then, of course, there is total glee when an avid runner suffers a heart attack, and particularly if a runner dies on a workout or in a race. There is almost a "See, I told you so" attitude. Pass me the remote, the nachos and get me more pork rinds.

Of course, our running tights, our lack of clothing in the summer months, and our running gaits, are all hot topics among the non-running community.

Many of the folks who have commented on my book, "Running Shorts," www.runningshortsbook.com, tell me the chapter, entitled, "Why Do They Hate Us So Much?" is their favorite. I list some of my all-time favorite random, non-runner lines, and I attempt to explain why they really DO hate us so much in the chapter.

So, the next time you attend a family function, a social event, your childrens sports activities, or other public functions, be ready for the interrogation. Smile, fire back, but be proud. You have EARNED their hate and their jealousy, as well as their idiotic comments.

 Keep getting out there and earning it every day!


1 comment:

  1. If I may offer a favorite, "You can eat that/You don't need to exercise. Look at you!" "Well, how do you think I got this way?"

    ReplyDelete