Saturday, March 21, 2015

A CONTINUAL JOURNEY...STEP BY STEP

Some 22 months ago, two torn hamstring tendons put the rest of my running career in jeopardy. If I healed properly, according to my orthopedic surgeon, I may be able to someday "jog" again.

There have been many days since that eventful afternoon of May 7, 2013, that I have felt like little more than a jogger.

While I have struggled, slowly, through two half marathons, I needed the feel of some speed again, although, given my diminished state, "speed" has become a relative term.

Today, in the sleepy southern town of Conway, South Carolina, I "got back on the horse," and ran my first 5K since a charity race held a week after the 2013 Boston Marathon, to raise funds for the bombing victims.

My 5K time was 45 seconds a mile slower than my 2013 Boston Marathon mile average, but I was pleased. I managed to earn a 2nd place in my age division, and I felt good and fairly strong in doing so.

Toni Birchler, a fellow runner I met at the Myrtle Beach Marathon expo last month, has recently begun her running journey. She captured 3rd place in her age group, and her PR's continue to fall.

Toni's best running days lie ahead.

So do yours.

So do mine.

Running is a never-ending journey. We encounter setbacks and we work to overcome them. Whether it's achieving a personal best, an effort to lose weight and become fit, or to conquer distances like the marathon, running is about defining, then achieving our goals.

And when we do?

It's on to setting new goals on this continual journey.

Setting goals?

Working toward your personal best?

Want to learn how to get there?

Read Personal Best.

www.muldowneyrunning.com



No comments:

Post a Comment