Wednesday, November 5, 2014

FAITH RESTORED

Most of us have had the unfortunate experience of inconsiderate drivers, folks offering rude, off-color, or just plain stupid remarks when we're out there running. Read the chapter, "Why Do They Hate Us So Much?" from my first book, "Running Shorts: A Collection of Stories and Advice For Anyone Who Has Ever Laced Up a Pair of Running Shoes," www.muldowneyrunning.com.

I've been told to, "Get off the road," "Go run in a gym," "Pick 'em up and put 'em down," "Do this instead," referring to raking leaves, cutting grass, or shoveling snow. My retort is, "I've already done that."

Objects, such as bottles, cans, and assorted trash items have been hurled in my direction, threats have been made, and once, my running partner, Randy Haas and I were nearly arrested when a small-town police officer cut us off with his cruiser and informed us that there was a town ordinance that prohibited us from running in the street.

School kids and garbage collectors have heckled me, curse words, obscene gestures and closed fists have been common.

Face it we're physically fit people, men and women of all ages, out there on the city streets and country roads, doing what we love to do. Most folks on this planet are NOT physically fit, and many are not very happy. Sometimes the sight of us is threatening to them.

Well,,,today I finished my run about a block from my house. Hands on my hips, a bit unsteady, I heard a horn honking behind me. Avoiding a possible confrontation, I ignored it. The car pulled up behind me, and the gentleman said..."Are you ok? You looked a little wobbly." I assured him I was.

 My faith in non-running mankind is restored!


1 comment: