Monday, December 30, 2013

Oontz, iPod Mini, Water

For my international readers, please be assured that I do speak (and sometimes write) in English. So, don't think the title of this blog is written in another language.

Santa Claus was good to me again this year. He, who is disguised as my wife, always makes sure that my clothing tastes reflect the current century, and not the Fabulous '80s. Santa also enjoys keeping me up to date with the latest technology.

So, in addition to a few sweaters, new shoes, jeans, and, of course, new running socks, this year's treasure trove of gifts included an iPod Mini, and an Oontz.

Seriously, I DO remember 8 Tracks and cassettes, and even vinyl records. Talk about a different language! Many of you may actually be forced to look up the aforementioned items. So, the iPod Mini is beyond fascinating to me. My first thought was, "Where's the rest of it?" It's only about one square inch. Well, needless to say, by Christmas evening it was loaded with my running "Power Play List."

Equally as fascinating to me was my gift of the Oontz. One simply synchs the device with the music source, and it serves as a portable sound machine. and, the sound quality is excellent.

Today, I enjoyed my music throughout my run, and when I returned home, I fired up the Oontz in my bathroom, as I prepared to take a soothing, hot shower.

But, thankfully, before I potentially infected my body, I went to my faucet for a glass of water.

The water was the color of rum!!! A water main break had occurred somewhere in the city.

Wait a second!

I can instantly communicate with someone in China.

A thousand songs are contained on a tiny, one inch device.

I can carry my Oontz anywhere.

My GPS and Siri talk to me.

But, as I write this, I can't take a shower!

Where's the "technology?"

Of course, I jest, but there is a lesson to be learned here.

We runners live in a fascinating era. We have more devices at our disposal than ever before.

But...

Our sport still comes down to putting one foot in front of the other and going as fast as we can for as long as we can.

So, enjoy the music, talk to Siri, and Google all you want, and always remember: Our sport is as simple as a glass of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment