Wednesday, November 13, 2013

STORIES, ADVICE, HISTORY

In a little less than two months I will have concluded my 37th year of competitive running. During that time, I have competed in over 700 races, from the mile to the marathon. Boston 2013 was my 54th marathon, having run a best time of 2:22:54 at the 1983 Boston Marathon, and a worst of 3:13.

As I enter the period of my life where I am a veteran runner, with my best times behind me, I take great pleasure in writing this blog, coaching at the collegiate level, and creating training programs for runners on a unique site called Fiverr.

There have been many influences on my running life, as well as a lifetime of great experiences. I tried to relate those experiences in my book, "Running Shorts: A Collection of Stories and Advice For Anyone Who Has Ever Laced Up a Pair of Running Shoes."

In the book, I attempted to make my stories your stories.

Most of us have a running partner or partners. Several of mine are described in my 'Cast of Characters' chapter.

Ever get annoyed by the competitor who always has an excuse for his bad race? Then you can relate to my chapter, 'Excuses, Excuses.'

Were you around during the first running boom, or have you heard of it? 'Running Boom' will place you right in the middle of running boom, short shorts and all.

Have you been run off the road by an irate driver? You need to read the chapter, 'Why Do They Hate Us So Much.'

Well, you get the picture.

"Running Shorts" is an entertaining read, and it is perfect for the runner on your Christmas list, even if that runner is you. Order it on my site: www.runningshortsbook.com, or get in touch with me and I'll make sure I send you a signed copy. The price is only $11.00, and I'll pick up the shipping. Heck, that's way cheaper than race entry fees, and most pairs of socks these days. I even have a few really nice women's T-Shirts left, emblazoned with the words, "Each Day is My Personal Best," that I'll throw in for free. Sadly, however, only size Smalls remain.

I'll dispense with the commercial and get back to the blog next time. But I will guarantee, if you like the blog, you'll love the book.

 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment