Monday, November 11, 2013

100% GRATITUDE TO THE 2%

I'm a school teacher by trade. I teach 7th and 8th graders about history, government, and civics.

Today is Veterans Day, and I believe that the best way for the students to learn about the invaluable contributions of America's veterans is to hear about it from the brave men and women who have sacrificed their time, their bodies, and their minds for this country.

This morning, Stu Richards, a local Vietnam veteran, delivered a stirring presentation to one of my 7th grade classes. During his talk, he astounded us with an amazing statistic: 2% of Americans serve in the armed forces, defending the remaining 98% of us.

That's right. 2% of the bravest men and women, of all ages, keep us free, and carry the torch of freedom around the world. Today, United States Marines landed in the Philippines, not to fight a war, but to assist in the recovery of the country in the wake of the devastating typhoon which struck over the weekend.

My father, Joe Sr., served as an Army Air Corps Master Sergeant in World War II, enduring the Blitzkrieg of London.

Today, my son is a Corporal in the United States Marine Corps, stationed at Camp Lejune, North Carolina.

I am proud to be a son and a father to and of these fine men.

Veterans Day is a single day we have set aside to honor those who have served and are serving, but from one of the 98% all of you protect, every day I thank you, pray for your safety, and appreciate your sacrifice for this country.

Thank you, and God bless all our veterans.