Monday, June 1, 2015

NO EXCUSES-HARRIETTE TOOK CARE OF THAT

I had an 8-miler planned today.

When I woke up I had the growling in the belly. You know, the kind that requires several, not just one trip to the bathroom.

Woe is me.

Would I be able to run with a griping belly?

Then, it began to rain. The kind of cool summer drizzle that breaks up the oppressive humidity.

Surely, I could use that as an excuse to cut my training run back by a couple of miles.

Wait a second!

Am I out of my mind???

Check out Harriette Thompson's marathon finish. http://on.nbc7.com/62RVYw2

You know Harriette Thompson.

By now, nearly EVERYONE knows Harriette Thompson.

On Sunday, at the Rock 'n' Roll Marathon in San Diego, Harriette became the oldest woman ever to complete a 26,2-mile race. Her time was 7:24:36.

But what's more remarkable is the way she LOOKED as she crossed the line. First, she looks to be about 72, not 92, and, as she crossed the finish line, she smiled,walked around, and appeared more lucid than I have in most of my 54 marathons.

So, pains in the belly, rainy weather, or hangnails simply don't cut it. By the way, I DID run my 8-miler today.

If Harriette did it, we can all do it.

Adjust and adapt to the aging process. You never have to retire in this sport. We have entered a time in our sport where we simply don't yet realize how far and fast for how long we can go.

Growing older isn't something most of us look forward to, but, in the words of Groucho Marx, "Growing older is something you get to do if you're lucky."

So keep it going, all of you, at any age. Because, as Harriette has taught us, there simply are no excuses.


No comments:

Post a Comment