Thursday, October 16, 2014

IT CHANGED MY LIFE FOREVER

In September 2012, I began writing my second book about running, entitled "Personal Best." My intent was to write a running self-help book for runners, with guidance from me, based on my 38 years of running and racing.

Most of the book, I believe, achieves that end. But the events of April 15, 2013, and my experiences in the aftermath of the Boston Marathon will forever remain indelibly stamped in my memory. it became impossible for me to write a book without recounting the events of that tragic day.

Visit my website: www.muldowneyrunning.com for more about the book and how to purchase a signed copy. Below is the Preface of the book, "Personal Best."

August 1, 2014

On September 12, 2012, I began writing “Personal Best.”

My intent was to offer a road map to runners of all abilities, based on my experience, in an effort to guide readers of the book toward achieving their personal bests. I hope the rest of the book meets that objective.

On April 15, 2013, though, everything changed.

My wife and I were witnesses to terror. We experienced evil in its most vile form as it manifested itself during one of the world’s purest sporting events.

Before the pages of this book celebrate what we do on a daily basis, I feel compelled to share the events of that tragic day with you the readers.

 Therefore, I have positioned the chapter, ‘Was That Thunder,’ in its rightful place, at the beginning of the book.

All runners from everywhere on the globe have been touched by the events of that April day. The celebration of joy and the deep bond that exists between the Boston Marathon runners and the Boston Marathon spectators was, for a few tragic seconds, shattered on Boylston Street.
As quickly as the terrorists had completed their despicable acts, the bond between runners and those wonderful Boston Marathon spectators coalesced. All joined to assist the victims. All cooperated to bring the perpetrators to justice.

In the weeks and months that followed, runners in races around the country did their best to assist the wounded spectators who have always done their best to assist the runners.

My first chapter is my personal, on the scene account of the events.


This book is dedicated to my soul mate, my wife Christina. On the streets of Boston on that April afternoon, I recognized how short and fragile life can be, and how much I need her in my life.




No comments:

Post a Comment