Sunday, January 8, 2017

QUANTITY OR QUALITY?

Back in 1976 when I began my road racing career, I sometimes was forced to drive several hours to find a race.

Today, on any given weekend, I am able to locate several races within 45 minutes of my doorstep.

And that's a good thing.

I think.

Through my personal contacts and posts on various social media outlets, I hear about folks running back-to-back marathons. "Festivals," where one can remortgage the home and run a 5K, 10K, AND a half marathon on the same weekend. More and more races, all willing to take your bucks, while you water down your times and risk injury.

If you slow down, chances are you won't slow down.

Pick your races carefully.

If you are competing in more than two races a month, your times are suffering and your risk of injury is increasing.

Select fewer races and aim higher.

It's January, and in most places, it's cold. Dress properly, log big miles, and run one, yes one race, during the month.

Increase to two races in February, and continue with that schedule throughout the year.

If you plan to run a marathon or a half marathon, don't overrace during the month before the event; then, allow your legs to heal after the race. If you run a marathon, it takes one day for each mile of the race for your body to completely heal. In other words, you should wait a month before you race again.

Racing too much may increase your medal count, but it will inflate your times.

In the end, quality eclipses quantity every time.

Race less and your times WILL improve.

And, if you want an inexpensive, personal training plan, check out my gigs on Fiverr. www.fiverr.com. Go to Health and Fitness, and check out my Running Shorts training plans.


No comments:

Post a Comment