Monday, August 4, 2014

TAKE A HIKE!

This is my 38th summer of running.

Most of the over 120,000 miles I've logged over those years have been on the streets of my hometown of Pottsville, Pennsylvania, a small city of approximately 16,000 residents.

Although running has become a bit more mainstream these days, and the sight of a runner on the narrow, mottled streets of our town rarely causes drivers to aim toward us, at least as much as they used to, it never ceases to amaze me that we continue to serve as lightning rods for the stupid.

This afternoon I turned in an enjoyable 5-mile training run. The final two miles of the run are largely uphill, so when I reach the '5.00' on my GPS wristwatch, I'm ready to walk the final hill to my home.

Heavy-legged and drenched with sweat I slowly strode up the final 200-meter incline.

At an intersection, a women who apparently knew me, although I had no idea who she was, offered a suggestion that now goes down in my mind as one of the most inane comments I've ever heard from the naysayers.

"You should have been hiking all these years Joe!"

Huh??

I scowled and replied "Whatever you say."

I'm not sure what prompted her scolding.

I enjoy nothing more than taking a hike with my dogs in the mountain behind my house.

Apparently she's never seen me or many of you at the end of our 20-milers. If so she may have said, "You should have been quilting all these years Joe."

I gotta tell you, the haters inspire me. They are filled with jealousy and rage over what we do.

I've been doing this a long time, and, yes, I'm not nearly as fast as I used to be. But I guarantee you this: If someone is slowing down in their vehicle to offer a negative or snarky comment, this old carcass will surely kick their ass at any distance.

There you have my blog/rant for the day.

Time for me to take a hike.

                                                               Mountain Hiking Trail



No comments:

Post a Comment