Thursday, November 15, 2012

WINDING DOWN FOR SUNDAY

Winding down training for Sunday's Philadelphia Marathon.

Philly is definitely one of my favorite places. Crissy and I will go to Snockey's, a great local seafood restaurant in South Philly, on Friday evening. On Saturday, I will hold a seminar at the Expo, entitled 'Running into your Sixties,' then I'll sign copies of my book. Back to South Philly for a pasta dinner on Saturday night, with my daughter Kelly, and her boyfriend Mike, both of whom are running the Marathon. Then, hoping for good weather and a good marathon time on Sunday. I'm qualified for 2013 Boston, but I'm looking for a better time. Friends, Abby and Jared Witmier will be running their first half marathon at Philly on Sunday. Deneen Reese and her husband Ty will also be running the Half. Best of luck to all the 27,000 runners who will race on Sunday.

My marathon year began with a debacle in the heat at Boston. 85-temperatures and a sinus infection that simply wouldn't go away, caused me to drop out at 18 miles. It was only the second time (both at Boston) in 50 marathons that I didn't cross the finish line.

Three weeks later I ran the Run for the Red Marathon, in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania. I only needed a 3:40 to qualify for Boston in my age group, so I aimed for 3:20 and comfortably finished in 3:13.

For Sunday at Philly, I feel like I'm in good shape. I may take a crack at sub-3 hours. All fell in place in the 2010 race, and I ran 2:58:56. Realistically, I think I'll shoot for 3:05. One never knows. The marathon is a humbling race. I'll report on my success...or failure next week.

www.runningshortsbook.com

No comments:

Post a Comment