Monday, November 19, 2012

REST!

Yesterday's Philadelphia Marathon was a great event. The weather was perfect, the race was superbly organized, the volunteers were tremendous, and the crowds were supportive.
How about that Mayor Nutter!! He was there from early in the morning, and he remained as runners finished at the 6-hour mark. The mayor of Philadelphia is obviously very runner-friendly.

I was pleased to look at the results today and find that I was able to capture 3rd place in the 55-59 age division. At the Expo on Saturday I conducted a seminar, entitled, "Advice for Running into Your 60s," in which I told my audience of over 50 runners that we older harriers can still get it done. I had to put my money where my mouth is!!

My daughter, Kelly, and her boyfriend, Mike, also completed the Philly Marathon. Kelly began her marathon career in 2010. She was never a runner, but is now completely addicted. I chronicle her journey as a runner in my book, "Running Shorts," in the chapter, "Frustration...Fulfillment."

Now, it's that very important rest time. It takes a runner at least one day to heal for every mile of the marathon. Coming back after your muscles have been deeply bruised from 26-miles of striking asphalt should be a slow, careful process. I'm eating a lot to replenish calories, and I'm drinking my hometown Pottsville brew, Yuengling Beer. On Wednesday, two of the girls from my Penn State Schuylkill cross country team want to do a speed workout on the track. I'll join them, but just to jog the laps between their intervals. Thursday is a day off for Thanksgiving, then 3 miles on Friday and 4 on Saturday, 5 on Sunday. Next week, I'll build my mileage gradually.

Around the middle of December I will resume training in preparation for the Louisiana Half Marathon and the Miami Marathon in January.

Congratulations to all finishers in yesterday's Philadelphia Marathon.

www.runningshortsbook.com

PHILADELPHIA MARATHON 2012
Photo by Clay Shaw


WINEGLASS HALF MARATHON 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment