Saturday, April 12, 2014

BOOM

There was a time when my hometown of Pottsville, Pennsylvania was a boom town. "Black Gold," anthracite coal, fueled a population boom, providing jobs to European immigrants, and turning the coal barons into millionaires. During the early part of the 20th century the city's population peaked at over 30,000 residents. Bob Hope and Ella Fitzgerald performed in local theaters.

Oil replaced coal, textile mills moved offshore, and Pottsville became another Rust Belt statistic. Today, our city's population is around 15,000.

Since 1829, however, the Yuengling family has been brewing beer in Pottsville.

Runners like beer.

Runners like Yuengling beer.

Yuengling sponsors the wildly successful Yuengling Virginia Beach Shamrock Marathon, and last year decided to host a race in the city in which the original brewery still produces large quantities of beer.

Today's Yuengling Light Lager Jogger 5K attracted 3,000 runners to our town of 15,000.

Elite runners were few, but this morning's Yuengling Light Lager Jogger 5K reflected the universal appeal of today's running boom. More runners, of all ages and abilities, are running more races than ever. Add a theme, like a race starting and finishing at America's Oldest Brewery, and you have a winning recipe as successful as Yuengling Lager.

Races can be win-win situations for all involved. Runners enjoy participating in unique events, a race can provide an economic boost for a community, as well as publicity for the race sponsors.

A boom for everyone.




5 comments:

  1. My favorite beer also! I am in Rhode Island now and can only get it when I visit my family in Philly or they come here. Next visit Easter and I am counting down the days to my first sip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole:

      It IS a great beer. When my son graduated from Marine Corps boot camp at Parris Island, we went to the PX, where I saw a guy with a hand cart, loaded with cases of Yuengling. He was an ex-marine from Texas who stocks up every time he comes back east. They have, for the first time, produced a summer wheat beer that is delicious. Enjoy your visit to Philly. The brewery, here in my hometown of Pottsville, is about two hours north of Philadelphia. You should come up for a tour sometime. It's fun. The Yuengling's are a great family. Good people.

      Delete
    2. I volunteered at the water station on "Mile 1" this year and it was a great time! Of course I went down to the festivities after my post was clear and had a sample of the "new" Yuengling Ice Cream too! Next year.....I'm running! It is real nice to see events like this close to home.

      Delete
    3. Dina:

      It is a great event for the city. The Yuengling family has done great things for the community. Thanks for volunteering. Hope to see you next year. Oh, and yes, the ice cream is delicious!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a good beer...wishing WA state was a bit closer so I could try some!

    ReplyDelete